Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bouldurango Ride Day 1


For the third year in a row the Bouldurango ride has begun. For those of you who don’t know what that means our annual road bike ride from Avery Brewing in Boulder, CO to the Ska Brewery in Durango, CO started Monday morning. It began by leaving out of Avery Brewing via a quick trip down Hwy 93, over Look Out Mntn, up Floyd Hill, and down the old bike trail into Idaho Springs for a total of around 45 miles. Today is the shortest day. For those of you who think that sounds like a hellish trip you are not that far from the truth. The temps today were close to 100 degrees and the elevation gain didn’t do a lot to ease the boiling. We finished our day with a tasty late lunch and beers at the Tommy Knocker brewery. But I’m getting ahead of myself as this is my first blog I guess I should introduce myself and the team.

My name is Dustin Lemoine and I’m the CO sales manager for Avery Brewing. This is my first year riding the Bouldurango, in fact it’s my first year riding any road bike ride. Via random chance I was lucky enough to S.A.G (support and gear) the ride for the crew last year and I was so impressed with the experience I witnessed that I decided I had to be involved in the group suffering this year. So in March I bought a shiny new carbon fiber Blue (the company not the color) RD1.1 and began training (Thanks Orli). My training wasn’t as strong as I wish it was it was, but I can’t really picture a point I would of felt “ready” for this ride. So I’m doing what I can with what I’ve got. Other than myself the Team Avery group includes our Head of Operations Steve Breezley, our Head Brewer Matt “HandTruck” Thrall, our newest employee Joe Osbourne (Marketing Director), and of course our fearless leader Adam Avery. Other than team Avery; Ska brewing has a team of 4 riders, Oskar Blues has a team of 4 riders, and from the far reaches of Chico, CA Sierra Nevada has shown up strong with a team of 2. It’s a rowdy bunch that gives me hope for all of humanity.

From day one this ride has been about brewery unity, supporting bike culture, and an overwhelming belief that suffering together will make us all stronger. This year will be no different. Tomorrow we head to Breckenridge Brewing in the quaint mountain town of Breckenridge CO. It will include a leisurely jaunt up Hwy 70 frontage road past Georgetown, over Loveland Pass, through Keystone, over Swan Mntn Rd, and into Breckenridge for a total of around 55 miles. After that it’s all downhill, not literally but I’m taking this one day at a time. Along the way we will visit many more breweries, touch many more lives, and possibly change the world. I will do my best to have more details and adventurous stories as the week goes on but for now I’m late for my massage. That’s right we suffer together to make ourselves stronger. My final sage like words? Go out and do something that takes you out of your comfort zone and pushes you to be better. It’ll change your life. Cheers


To check out all the latest pictures of the days ride check out Avery Brewing on FaceBook...

http://www.facebook.com/AveryBrewing



No comments:

Post a Comment